Sunday, May 27, 2012

Update 15.4.12-10.5.12


My apologies; this is going to be kind of long.  Another month has passed, so I figured I should probably update a little bit.
SCHOOL
School is good.  I can almost name all of my students.  I am definitely feeling more comfortable in the classroom.  I even had one day wehre I taught by myself because Zuleika (my co-teacher) couldn't come.  I still haven't completely figured out my role in the classroom.  As my official observation period comes to an end (hah!-I started participating like my second week), I will talk with Zuleika and Yulissa (the directora) more specifically about what they see me doing over the next 2 years.  I think it will help make my time alittle bit more productive.
HOMESTAY
As of May 8, I moved host families.  I genuinely enjoyed (most of) my time with my first family, but they are a little overwhelming and I want to get to know the other side of town too.  It was time for a change.  On the other hand, change is hard.  I was more sad to leave than I thought I would be.  I'm sensing a theme... It was hard-my little siblings were crying a little bit while I was packing :(
My new family is good.  The mom (Lourdes) works at the school selling snacks, the dad (Fran) works in recycling and isn't home a lot.  I have 1 18 y/o brother (Fran Junior)who is a senior in High School in Dolega, and a 10 y/o sister (Astrid) who is a 5th grader in a bilingual school also in Dolega.  Fran Sr.'s mother, Saturnina, also lives here.  It's more tranquilo here, for sure.  But I also kind of got used to my routine in my other house.  I feel stuck between a rock and ahard place, but I get my own house in 4-ish weeks!!!!
COMMUNITY
I really like my community.  The people are super nice and it's really accessible to anything I could want.  Unfortunately, the internet has proven pretty unreliable, but I really can't complain.  I have enjoyed getting out and playing tag/hide-and-seek/baseball with some neighbor kids/students, going to mass and running into more students, and meeting actually quite a few Americans including 2 former PCVs who are retired and living in the community.  My closest volunteer is Meg.  Like I mentioned before, she lives in Rovira/Palma Real which is only like a 10 minute/$.40 bus ride away.  She's with the Community Environmental Conservation (CEC) Project.  She's super cool.  We get together about once a week to hang out and check-in.  I said I didn't care how close my next volunteer was, but now that I have one so close, I really like it.
OTHER
Random other news, and please do not be alarmed.  On Sunday the 29th my host family was robbed while I was church and they were out.  They took my computer and some of my family's cash.  Luckily, that's all.  The neighbors scared them off.  The police came and everything.  I called PC Safety and Security and they are pretty sure I wasn't targeted, so please please please don't worry.  I feel completely safe, especially because I have moved host families since then.  All the paperwork and everything is taken care of.  I am pretty sure my computer has been sold for parts by now, but I am surprisingly at peace with it.  I think I appropriately prepared myself for the possibility before I brought it.
One last piece of news:  I have decided where I am going to live!  I am going today to talk to the landlady and let her know for sure.  Hopefully, I will be able to get a key and start moving some stuff in so it's not such a big project when the time comes.
I have been very fortunate to have no health concerns (physical or mental)- knock on wood.  I am actually in good spirits-ready for my own space, but it’s coming (3 weeks!), so I can hold out.  The rains are here, but apparently they will get more frequent.  Luckily, I enjoy them J I did have to break down and buy and umbrella, though. Overally, I’m doing really well.  That is all.  I still miss you all soooo much!  Please, let me know how things are going there J

Love, Ally
Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment