Friday, March 30, 2012

Site Visit 2/27-3/1

My site visit was really good.  It seemed to go by pretty quickly!  On Monday, I finally actually got to my site.  I met my actual counterpart, Zuleika, who seems really nice but a little shy.  I went to class and did some observation and talked with some students.  I left school a little early with Yasy to go meet my host family.  I will have an 18 year old brother: Jorge-Luis, a 13 year old sister: Yolibeth, a 7 year old brother: Jhon, a mom: Yovana, and a dad: Jorge.  They were super nice, but it was just super overwhelming to think about all the change that is coming!  I have my own room, which will be nice.  However, I feel kind of bad, because the room I am in is normally Yoli's and now she is sharing with her brothers.  Oh well.  Also, on Monday, I found out that I have another possible host family, so I could split my 3 months between them, which I will probably do for a couple reasons: 1) so I don't displace people for as long of a time, and 2) to get to know more people/different sides of town..
Tuesday and Wednesday were more like what have now become normal days.  I got up at 6, went to school at 7, started class at 7:30, came home after school at 12:30, ate lunch, took a nap, took a walk around town, came home for dinner, played uno/watched novelas, and went to bed around 9.  I can't wait until I get to know the town better.  Even now that I have been living here almost two weeks, I still feel like I don't know anything and barely any people, but that will come with time.
Anyway, I took a bus back on Thursday with another PCV whose site is also near David.  We miraculously had no problems and also ran into a current PCV from Bocas who was on her way to the PC Office in the city for a meeting.  Poor girl has a 2 day trip anytime she wants to go to the city.  It makes my 8 hour bus ride not sound so bad...haha.  It was really nice when we arrived back in Santa Rita to see everyone.  I think site visit made everyone realize how much we are going to miss each other when we're not together everyday.  But that's what we signed up for and came to do, right?  It will just take some getting used to.
That's all I have for now.  More to come soon: Swearing In, Vacation, and Arrival at Site.  Hopefully these aren't too boring.  If they are (and even if they aren't), please let me know what you want to know so I can hopefully answer some of your burning questions.  Also, I will  hopefully have more pictures when I post again :)  Miss you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment