Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Tech Week 2/23/12-2/28/12


This post is going to be short and sweet.  Tech week was theoretically our mini ‘student-teaching’ experience in La Chorrera.  I know all of you who actually did student teaching will laugh at the fact that mine lasted only really 5 days, only 2 of which was class actually in session.
The first couple days (really only the first day for me because my teacher wasn’t there on Friday) we spent getting to know our cooperating teacher and helping him/her set up the classroom and plan lessons for the first couple days.  Most of them were finishing up or had just finished their yearlong plan.  My teacher said he had it all pretty much together, so we just talked about MEDUCA (the Ministry of Education), teaching, and ourselves for a slightly awkward 2 hours where neither of us really knew what exactly we were actually supposed to be doing…
Monday (the first day of school) was the ActoCivico which is where they have announcements and sing the national anthem.  I can only hope that one day I will know the words.  If you care to look it up, it’s rather lengthy, especially compared to ours.  Then the day was spent in homeroom, so I just chatted with some of the students and then went to our ‘debriefing’ meeting at the library (after stopping at the ice cream shop on the way and teaching them how to make a milkshake…) and then went home.  Tuesday, I showed up ready to introduce myself in English and help with pronunciation because that is what my teacher suggested.  However, 10 minutes into the class he turns to me and asks if I want to teach the rest of the class, so I did.  Good thing I have a fair amount of experience making things up as I go.  Then we had our debriefing and then tech week was over.  That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment