Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Santa Rita Halfway Point: 2/15/12


I am getting into a pretty good routine with my family now (just in time for it to change, go figure).  It started out kind of rough because my family doesn’t really like to leave the house to pasear much, which makes it difficult to get to know the rest of the community.  I found out it’s because they don’t particularly get along with the extended family who lives near us.  I’m not sure what exactly happened, but they avoid each other to what I find to be absurd lengths, but whatever.  Now that I understand a little bit more, it’s less weird that they don’t go out much.  I have started to be better about going out on my own/with other aspirantes (Peace Corps Trainees).
I have also found that there is a lot of bochinche (gossip)!  I think it has to do with the fact that 1) it’s a pretty small town and half of the town is related somehow and 2) Panamanian culture is very ‘indirect’ meaning that they avoid confrontation at all costs.  It is expected that if you have a problem with something, you will go around it and tell someone else about it until eventually it gets back to the person with whom you have a problem so they can avoid being embarrassed by the ‘confrontational’ conversation.  It’s taken a lot of getting used to because as most of you know, I am a very direct person and find it offensive/rude if someone goes to other people instead of coming to me if they have a problem with me and I try to show other people the same respect; except that here it’s rude…oops..  I think this will be my biggest struggle during the next 2 years.
On a totally different note, my host mom’s mom went to the hospital yesterday.  From my limited Spanish, she had a bubble (may also be a clot) in her heart, and they had to do surgery to take care of it.  Prayers for her and for her 12 kids would be appreciated.  It sounds like she will definitely be in the hospital the next few days, maybe longer.
I think that’s all I have for now.  I will write again next week, after we find out our sites and celebrate Carnaval J.

No comments:

Post a Comment